Mushrooms

3
Showing 1 of 2

Can dogs eat mushrooms?

No, dogs cannot eat mushrooms. Mushroom is one of those things where it really depends where you got the mushroom from, before you are able to tell whether your dogs can eat mushrooms or not.

Pug on top of mushroom

Sometimes when you are eating a Spanish omelet breakfast in the morning, there is a SLIGHT chance that you might have a furry face with large eyes and drool sticking out of his mouth, staring back as you. In this case, you can feel free to share a little bit of your omelet without worrying too much about the mushroom in it. As you know, it is not recommended that we feed dogs a large amount of people food, so I would not recommend that you feed the dog a lot of mushrooms or the omelet. The omelet can also have salt in it and a lot of salt is horrible for your dog’s health.

Then, there are canned mushrooms that we use for cooking. As much as I don’t think there’s anything wrong with feeding your dog canned mushroom, the can does come with a lot of other ingredients in it which might not always be safe for your dog. Some people have complained of their dogs getting diarrhea from eating canned mushroom.

So now you might be wondering, if your dog can eat cooked mushrooms, why am I writing that no, dogs cannot eat mushrooms. It is suggested by veterinarians that dogs be kept away from mushrooms because of the large amount of cases of dog death caused by wild mushrooms.

Dangers of Dogs Eating Mushrooms

Now take this for an example that was reported on Yahoo! News.

The Lynn family were headed up to the mountains for their annual family vacation, but this time they added a furry family member, Champ, a 13-week-old puppy the family had gotten three weeks ago.

“We have been going up to the same campground for 16 years, and I have never seen a mushroom up there,” David Lynn said. This year, with the amount of rain Colorado has seen, toxic mushrooms are everywhere. Champ, being a curious pup, found the wrong one to bite into. “I noticed him acting strange. His feet started going out from under him, he couldn’t stand. He was drooling so much. We didn’t think he was going to make it,” Lynn said.

The Lynn’s rushed Champ to the Evergreen Animal Hospital emergency clinic. “We are seeing [these types of incidents]fairly frequently, almost daily,” Dr. David Robinson, Medical Director for Evergreen Animal Hospital, said.

Robinson says one type of common red-colored mushroom affects the liver and ultimately leads to death.

Can dogs eat mushrooms

The other type, which can be white or brown, causes tremors, elevated body temps, seizures and can lead to brain damage if the body temperature goes too high. Typically, this type of mushroom poisoning can be treated.

The veterinarian believes Champ ate a white or brown mushroom. He stayed an overnight at the hospital where he was treated, and went through induced vomiting, IV’s, and sedation.

Champ is doing great now, and he truly is living up to his name.

The Lynn’s say Champ’s symptoms came on within 15 minutes, but because they were able to get him to the vet within an hour, that’s the reason he was able to bounce back so fast.

However, the trip to the vet came with a whopping bill of $500 plus.

Eating toxic mushrooms is also dangerous for people.

Doctors say, depending on the type that is ingested and the amount, poisonous mushrooms can cause tremors, seizures, a drastic change in body temperature, liver damage and/or death in people as well.

Which Mushrooms are Dangerous for Dogs

The American Society for Prevention of Cruelty to Animals reports mushrooms are hard to identify. Studying pictures in a text or on the Internet can’t differentiate them. Many species, both poisonous and nonpoisonous, look very much alike, and they frequently grow side by side. When a mushroom is obtained for identification, it must be identified as quickly as possible before it begins to deteriorate. Accurate identification of a mushroom usually requires a mycologist (a fungus specialist) or someone who has been hunting wild mushrooms for years. Mycologists may be found at universities and botanical gardens. Local mushroom clubs may be helpful in identifying mushrooms, as well. But if all attempts fail, what do you do?

ASPCA says, although most mushrooms are known as LBMs (little brown mushrooms) and are generally nontoxic, if a dog has just eaten a mushroom, always decontaminate for safety. This means that vomiting is induced, and unless the entire mushroom is seen in the vomitus, activated charcoal is given to adsorb remaining toxins. Once decontaminated, each dog is treated individually, based on clinical signs that develop. Poisonous mushrooms can cause four distinct clinical syndromes.

Showing 1 of 2

3 Comments

  1. Robert Selph on

    I did not know anything about mushrooms and dogs till today We almost loss our dog today from eating beer battered mushrooms we bouglt at Kroger . It is a good thing we love him. I know something was wroung and we called vet hospital and rushed him there. So do not let dogs eat mushrooms of anykind.

  2. I don’t think mushrooms from supermarket are bad for dogs at all, as long as YOU cook it with other natural stuff like chicken, rice, water, and so on. Using unnecessary seasonings such as salt, soup cubes, or any other processed ones should be the problem here. Mushroom intake helps a dog (and even a human) eliminate body odor including bad breath and all other smells we discharge. So, it DOES do something. But of course the choice is on the pack leader’s shoulder, as well as the responsibility.

Leave A Reply