Showing 1 of 1

Can Dogs Eat Raisins?

NO, dogs cannot and should not eat raisins! 

Raisins, like grapes, are VERY BAD for dogs. Raisins after all are simply dried out grapes, so they retain the same chemicals that are toxic for dogs. Eating raisins can be fatal. They are just as – if not more – dangerous than chocolates, yet far less people are aware that dogs should not eat raisins.

What Happens When a Dog Eats Raisins?

Dogs that eat raisins usually begin vomiting after swallowing them. This throwing up is helpful because the raisins don’t end up being digested completely.

If your dog has ingested large quantities of raisins or grapes, (s)he will immediately begin to vomit repeatedly, and will become extremely hyperactive and jittery.  After about 24 hours, the dog will become lethargic and depressed.  (S)he may experience abdominal pain and may stop urinating, drinking, and/or eating.(S)he will also become dehydrated.  Both his/her vomit and feces will contain partially digested raisins or grapes.  His/her breathing may become irregular, and (s)he will also become hypercalcemic (high calcium concentrations) and hyperphosphosphatemic

Ultimately, without treatment, the dog will go into renal (kidney) failure, and may die a horrible very painful death.

What to do If Your Dog Eats Raisins

The best cure for an overdose, of course, is prevention.  Because dogs can get hold of raisins or grapes from a variety of sources—the kitchen counter, the coffee table, vines in a private vineyard, a child’s lunch box—DOG PROOF YOUR VINEYARDS & REMOVE RAISINS AND GRAPES FROM CANINE REACH.  Do not feed your dog raisins/grapes as treats so that you can avoid him/her “getting a taste for them”.  Remember that raisins are even more concentrated (and hence more toxic) than grapes—approximately 4 pounds of grapes equal 1 pound of raisins.  The APCC also warns that any substance in large doses can be toxic.


However, if you suspect your dog has eaten a large amount of raisins or grapes, take your dog to a veterinarian immediately, and have them contact the Animal Poison Control Center for assistance.  Have your veterinarian initiate decontamination measures, and administer fluids and/or dialysis to assist/restart the dog’s kidneys.   Be aware that initially your veterinarian may suspect rat poison as the above symptoms are very similar to the symptoms of rat poison.

The APCC is still unable to determine the exact cause of renal (kidney) failure.  Possibilities include 1) an agent in grapes and raisins themselves; 2) fungicides, herbicides, or pesticides contamination; 3) heavy metals; 4) high amounts of Vitamin D; or 5) fungus or mold contamination.

How Many Would Poison Your Dog?

The minimum toxic dose is approximately 1 grape per pound of body weight.

  • 15 lb dog = 12-14 grapes could be deadly
  • 25 lb. dog = 23 grapes could be deadly
  • 50 lb. dog = 50+ grapes could be deadly
  • 75 lb. dog = 75 grapes could be deadly

Raisins, having lost their water content are considered more toxic at 6 raisins per kg of body weight, or 2-3 raisins per pound of body weight. Think how many raisins are in ONE small snack pack of raisins. It might be enough to kill your dog.

  • 15 lb. dog = 30-45 raisins could be deadly
  • 25 lb. dog = 50-75 raisins could be deadly
  • 50 lb. dog = 100-150 raisins could be deadly
  • 75 lb. dog = 150-225 raisins could be deadly

If your dog has eaten one or two raisins, it probably isn’t as bad. But if your dog eats a bunch, go to a veterinarian right away before it’s too late. Fast and aggressive treatment including IV fluids and close monitoring is often necessary for survival.

Remember: Don’t feed your dog raisins or grapes and keep them away from dogs! They can be deadly for your furry friend!

Showing 1 of 1


  1. Phantom, Thunder, Ciara, and Lightning on

    Our Dad just loves cinnamon raisin toast, and we love the smell. Mom always has to remind Dad that we can’t have any of his toast. But now she buys just cinnamon for the grandbipeds so we get to have a taste now and then. But no raisins,and no grapes – big No Nos.

    Great post, Bunk.

    Woos – Phantom, Thunder, Ciara, and Lightning

  2. Frankie Furter and Ernie on

    I have Grape Vines in my yard. I (Frankie Furter) am not allowed to eat them and I am very good about leaving them alone… butt I have been thinkin about ERNIE… that boy eats EVERYTHING..
    HOWEVER…. we think All of our Grapes got Frozen to death last week so we may not need to be too concerned… Until mom and dad want to make grape juice in September… THEN they will be crying.

    THANKs fur puttin this up… not everybuddy knows about this scary danger.

  3. Aw crap – more stuff I can’t eat. 🙁
    Oh well, thank you for the warning, Bunk. I will definitely steer clear of raisins. Luckily there’s plenty of pug-friendly food and treats in our house!


  4. Mum wont even keep grapes in the house because she is petrified that I will have one, Raisins are the devil! Another helpul and educational post from you Bunk – GOOD JOB!
    Lots of Love, Licks and Pugalier Hugs with tummy rubs from your Friend Frank xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

  5. This depends on your dog’s digestive system, this does not apply 100% to all dogs, I can attest to this as I have experienced on feeding my dog raisins as treats only to find out that it could make them sick and can cause them to die. Imagine my guilt after I’d read on the effects of such food to my dog. I’m like “Oh crap! I kill my dog”. I am so freakin’ worried that I had sleepless nights observing him for any symptoms. But thankfully, Weeks have passed now and he seems okay, maybe he is a one in a million lucky, and with this lesson learned – raisin and grape for my dog is now a big NO NO! (actually I am aware of the harm of chocolates for them, but it is of new knowledge that raisins are deadly – they seem to really like it). so, there hope this personal experience helps. BTW, he is a pug puppy, 4 months and weighs about 2.75 Kilos, we call him “BOBOT”.

  6. My dog at 5 raisin filled english muffins. I looked on the web and saw that there are about 5-6 per muffin.
    She weighs 50 lbs, I think I am in the clear, but still a bit worried. According to this chart she should be fine. She wouldn’t drink the peroxide, so they said to keep an eye on her. Thanks for the post.

  7. Do you have a source citation for the data you present (IE the weight/amount charts)? I’m curious to know what study this is.
    Also, if a dog has licked raisin residue from a child’s fingers, how bad do you suppose this might be?

  8. I just gave some raisins to my doberman which weighs 113 pounds. Was munching on some trail mix and he was all about it. So I gave him probably 6 to 7 raisins. He kept wanting more, so I decided to look it up if they could have them before I gave him anymore. And thank God that I did! Of course I am worried, but according to this chart he should be fine. Gna keep an eye out for any symptoms. If he throws up even once in the next few hours. .OFF TO THE VET WE GO!!!..Thanks for the info.

Leave A Reply