Homemade Banana Dog Treat Recipes
Some dogs do not like bananas. Some dogs do not like ripe bananas. Bunk the pug loves bananas of all sorts, whether they are firm or ripe, green or yellow, big or small. Every single time I try to eat a banana, Bunk smells it and runs to the kitchen. He then puts his pug butt down on the ground and waits with his tongue-too-big-for-the-pug-mouth hanging out. Sometimes, his drool even hits the ground while he is waiting. The drool-worthy taste, the euphoria-inducing butt-aching sweetness, and the pale-yellow magic is more than enough to enslave our usually self-righteous pug.
While there are many baked banana treats available in the market, we have found that bunk loves the smell and taste of fresh homemade banana treats. Here are the secret recipes to some of his favorite banana dog treats.
Peanut-Butter and Banana Dog Biscuits
- 1 egg
- 1/3 cup peanut butter
- 1/2 cup mashed banana
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1/2 cup wheat germ (can be replaced with flaxseed meal or oatmeal)
- 1 egg white, lightly beaten, for brushing
- Preheat oven to 300 degrees F (150 degrees C). Lightly grease a baking sheet.
- Stir together the egg, peanut butter, banana, and honey in a medium bowl; blend thoroughly. Stir in the flour and wheat germ; mix well.
- Turn dough out onto a floured board and roll to 1/4 inch thick.
- Cut into desired shapes with a cookie cutter, place on prepared baking sheet, and brush tops with egg white.
- Bake biscuits in preheated oven until dried and golden brown, about 30 minutes, depending on size. Remove from oven and cool on a wire rack.
If your dog is a big peanut-butter lover like mine, you may increase the amount of peanut butter in this treat! You can also increase the amount of banana if desired!
Depending on your oven, you might have to cook it a little longer than the recipe requires.
Soft Banana Strips
- 1 egg
- 1c fast-cook oats
- 1/2 banana
- 1/3c milk
- 1/2c all-purpose flour
- 1/8c rice
- Squash bananas, and beat the egg.
- Spread evenly on a plate.
- Next, heat in microwave for 3 and 1/2 minutes.
- When done, let them cool.
- Then cut and serve.